Tuesday, October 04, 2005

solar eclipse

At 11:20 the moon and sun crossed paths, and I stood on the corner of calle Zurbano. Looking east and listening to excited Spaniards wearing gafas, I put some on myself and the light dimmed. The birds stopped chirping. The moment passed. I walked back to class. I'm sure a better writer could think of some meaningful connections between my year abroad and a solar eclipse, if you can think of one, send it along!

So I'm in class 6 hours a day: 9:30-1:30 with 10 students and then again from 2:30 to 4:30 with only 3 students. I very much like a 40 year old fellow from Belgium named Warner. He live in Antwerp with his wife and 2 children, and he is here for 2 weeks learning Spanish and doing some computer consulting. He is sincere and kind. After class, we go to the cerveseria and drink canas (little 7 ounce beers) and eat small snacks that the bartenders give.

I've already visited the Prado twice, on Sunday I saw the Medieval and early Ren up to El Greco. Very long bodies. Today I saw the Goya and Velasquez stuff that makes the place famous. The Goya paintings from "period negro" are dark and imaginative. I wouldn't bring a kid in to see it though. Scary. I want to go back again sometime by myself and get the audio guide. With a schedule like mine, it will happen soon.

Maria and Maria, my hosts, are taking me good care of me. I eat well, sleep OK (I'm still jet lagged) and use wi-fi a lot!.

In Spain, lunch, "comida" is the big meal of the day. Alas, the school is so far away that I cannot come back to the house and enjoy the meal with them. However, it gives me a chance to eat with other students.

I like staying up late. go sox (losing 8-2 right now).
more later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home